When building a PC, the motherboard is detrimental. The majority of your components rely on the motherboard which is why it is so important to have one that can support the maximum potential of your CPU and graphics card.
There are various ranges of motherboards on the market catering for those who need them for general day-to-day tasks, to those who require a more powerful motherboard so they can game or video edit.
Let’s take a look at the best motherboards on the market today from some of the world’s leading manufacturers:
Intel Z170 Chipset
Combined with the 6th gen Intel Core processors, the Z170 will provide you with the power and performance you need. Here are our picks of the Z170 chipsets:
Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 3- EU
- USB Type-C support
- Dual Channel DDR4, 4 DIMMS
- 3-Way graphics support with ultra durable metal shiedling over the PCIe slots.
- Realtek ALC1150 115dB SNR HD Audio
- High Quality audio capacitors and audio noise guard with LED trace path lighting.
- Dual PCIe Gen3 x4 M.2
- 4K Ultra HD Support
Take a closer look at the Gigabyte Z170X here.
Asus MAXIMUS VIII IMPACT Intel Z170
- LGA1151 socket for 6th-gen Intel Core desktop processors.
- Dual DDR4 4133(OC) support.
- Best gaming performance – Impact Power III, 5-Way Optimization with Auto-Tuning, Pro Clock, second-generation T-Topology
- Best gaming audio – champion-level SupremeFX Impact III audio card with intuitive Sonic Studio II.
- Best gaming networking – Best-in-class Intel Gigabit Ethernet, LANGuard and GameFirst technologies.
- Best gaming connectivity —2×2 802.11ac Wi-Fi with MU-MIMO , NVMe U.2 and USB 3.1 Type-A and Type-C for extreme-speed transfers and total compatibility.
- Best gaming protection – Carefully-selected premium components for maximum durability.
Take a closer look at the Asus MAXIMUS VIII IMPACT here.
MSI Z170A KRAIT GAMING Intel Z170
- Supports 6th Gen Intel® Core™ / Pentium® / Celeron® Processors
CPU socket LGA 1151
- Graphics Interface – 2xPCI-E 3.0 x16 with MSI Steel Armor, 2-way
- NVIDIA® SLI™ / 3-way AMD CrossFire™ support
- Display interface – HDMI, DVI (Requires CPU Graphics)
- Memory support – 4 DIMMs, Dual Channel DDR4-3600(OC)
- Expansion slots – 3xPCI-E x1 slots, 1xPCI slot
- SATA / M.2 – 1xM.2 32Gb/s, 6xSATA 6 Gb/s (2 ports reserved for SATA Express)
- SATA RAID – RAID 0,1,5,10 (Available at ports SATA1-SATA6)
- USB / IEEE 1394 – 2xUSB 3.1 Gen2, 6xUSB 3.1 Gen1, 6xUSB 2.0
- LAN – Intel® I219-V Gigabit LAN
- Audio – 8-channel(7.1) HD Audio with Audio Boost 3
Take a closer look at the MSI Z170 motherboard here.
AMD AM3+ Chipset
AMD’s latest AM3+ socket has been designed to work alongside the AMD Bulldozer microarchitecture whilst retaining compatibility with AM3 processors.
The AM3+ socket spec is an upgraded version of the AM3, featuring a few key design changes. There is a faster serial link of 3400 kHz from the CPU to the power controller compared to 400 kHz. There is a more redesigned CPU cooler retention harness allowing for better airflow.
Here are our picks of the AM3+ motherboards:
Gigabyte 970A-DS3P AM3+
This motherboard has been developed to offer a stable, high-speed platform for deliverying amazingly fast data transfer via GIGABYTE 333 onboard acceleration technologies.
Featuring USB 3.0, the Gigabyte 970A-DS3P allows super fast transfer rates of up to 5Gbps.
Asus M5A97 LE R2.0 AM3+
- Dual Intelligent Processors – TPU + EPU
- USB 3.0 Boost – Faster USB 3.0 Transmission with UASP
- Network iControl – Real-time Network Bandwidth Control
- UEFI BIOS – Flexible & Easy BIOS Interface
- Auto Tuning – Auto System Level Up
- Quad-GPU CrossFireX Support!
- True USB 3.0 & SATA 6Gb/s Support – Fully Unleash Performance
Check out the Asus M5A97 here.
MSI 970 GAMING AMD AM3+
Specifically made for gamers, this motherboard has best-in-class technology and features plus enjoy crystal clear sound with Audio Boost 2.
- Supports AMD FX / Phenom™ II / Athlon™ II / Sempron™ processors for AM3+ socket
- Supports DDR3-2133(OC) Memory
- USB 3.0 + SATA 6Gb/s
- Audio Boost 2: Reward Your Ears with True Quality
- Killer Ethernet: Kill Your Lag
- OC Genie 4: Overclock in 1 Second
- Click BIOS 4: Easily Fine-tune Your System
- NVIDIA SLI & AMD CrossFire Support
- Sound Blaster Cinema 2: Realistic Surround Sound Experience
- Gaming Device Port: Optimized with Triple Gold-plating for High Polling Rate Gaming Devices
View the MSI 970 motherboard in more detail here.
We stock the full range of motherboards from the world’s largest manufacturers. View them all here.